Salt Sticks from Burgenland
- 1 kg all-purpose flour
- ca. ½ l milk
- 15 dag butter
- 1 TBL pork dripping
- 2 TBL sugar
- 2 packages dried yeast
- egg to coat
- coarse sea salt and caraway to sprinkle
To enjoy during a wine tasting.
- Put flour in a bowl
- Warm up milk, butter and lard.
- Mix the flour with salt, sugar and yeast.
- Knead by hand until the dough is shiny.
- Divide into regular balls, cover and let rise for half an hour.
- Roll the balls to a circle, cut into 8 triangles. Roll the triangles beginning at the wide side. Coat with whisked egg, sprinkle with sea salt and caraway.
- Bake for ca. 20–25 minutes at 200º C until golden-brown.
- Take out of the oven and coat immediately with pork dripping.