Bratwurst stewed in RED TRIE with Juniper Sqash
- 4 medium-large „green“ fresh Bratwürste; order from your favourite butcher
- in Rust we get this delicacy only on Friday mornings – butcher´s shop Karassowitsch vulgo „Fetzer“
- 4 red onions peeled and cut into eights – the onions not yet the TRIE
- 1 bottle of TRIE red (if not available a Barolo 82 will do)
- salt, pepper, majoram rubbed
- 750 g Hokkaido or muscat squash, peeled, deseeded and roughly diced
- 60 g butter for the pumpkin and 2 tablespoons for the sausages, 2 tablespoons for the thyme
- thyme rubbed
- fresh horseradish to taste
- approx. 10 crushed juniper berries
- 50 ml vegetable stock or the like
- 1 shooter of Gin – repeated self-experiments could very well be on this card
- Soak the Bratwürste in milk at leat for half an hour, this gives the casing more elasticity for the frying pan.
- Melt butter in a high pan and fry the onions over medium heat. Add the sausages and fry slightly.
- Add the TRIE, it should hae room temperature, and allow to simmer. Season to taste with pepper, salt and majoram.
- Meanwhile stew the squah with butter and half of the juniper. Add the stock and allow to stew for approx. 20 minutes. Strain and allow to evaporate.
- Add Gin and blenderize.
- Add little salt and place the pureé in a conical shape in a bowl ( base down)
- Froth up the butter with the remaining juniper, fry the thyme and sprinkle over the purée = garnish!
Place the sausages nicely into the pan and pimp them up with freshly grated horseradish. Some guests might choose white wine rather than white bread as accompaniment.