- 1 Tafelspitz (beef) ca. 2 kg
- 500 g vegetables for the soup (celery, yellow beads, carrots, parsley root)
- 200g onions, un-peeled
- 15 peppercorns
- ca. 4,5l water
- 1 kg beef bones
- Cut onions in half, roast the cut end in a pan until very dark, almost black. Wash roots and peel. Rinse Tafelspitz and bones with warm water.
- Bring water to a boil, add Tafelspitz, bones and peppercorns, cook over low heat. Add roots, leek, lovage and onions one hour before the end of the cooking time. Continuously remove foam.
- Remove done meat from the soup. Season and strain using a fine sieve or cloth. Cut meat into finger-thick slices (against the grain).
- Tip: Spread the served Tafelspitz with finely chopped roots (cooked until al dente), a little beef broth foamed with cold butter and chives–delicious!
Side dishes: Cream spinach, apple or chive sauce, potato gratin.
Goes well with our Furmint or the TRIE!